Thinking Outside the Search Box
The IMSA FullCircle Resource Kit just published a great article by my friend and colleague Dr. Carl Heine. I call Carl the 'Flow Miester' because he as the natural ability to get into the creative flow with grace and great results.
If you've been using any of Carl's great flash games for teaching Searching, Evaluating, and Ethical use of Internet materials you'll know the work he's doing helps users understand how to be a power searcher.
In this month's issue of the FullCircle kits, Carl writes an intriguing description of his game creation process. Check it out! (You'll have to sign up for a free subscription to view the article.
Included in this edition are a number of exciting new resources:
- Podcast with Will Richardson, author of the popular blog , talks with Dan Balzer about collaboration and online communities.
- A behind-the-scenes look at Creating Search Challenges (in case you want to create your own)
- A new Keyword Challenge and ideas for using Keyword Challenges in class.
- A new Evaluation Challenge: Elect Susie Flynn. Use evaluation criteria to determine if this campaign is real.
- A new online Query Assessment and Users Guide that helps to identify problems students have turning questions into queries.
- A new classroom edition of Bad Apple that encourages students to discuss the credibility of the information they find.
- A new QuickPick that looks at strategies for searching and how to decide which strategy may be best.
- A new timed Search Challenge that involves tracking down the author of a web site.